Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Home Sweet Home

For the last two nights Mom was up at 4 a.m. chit chatting with her nurse. Tonight I get to be the one she chats with because we are HOME! This is both a blessing and a curse because while there's no place like home there also aren't helpers to wash things, cook food, change linens, flush I.V.s or attend to tubes at 4 a.m. I hope I paid enough attention. 

Mom is still doing remarkably well. Her peace is inspirational.  "Life isn't fair," she says when I tell her this is not right and that she doesn't deserve this. Her mother died of cancer, her sister and her brother. She was the care taker for her mother and sister's final days. And yet, even with the doctor's official diagnosis, she's still a pillar of strength. She has goals dreaming of being back up on her feet, of moving around independently and of loving on her grand babies. Because our wheelchair dreams were premature we shifted our sights to reading a good book, playing Uno and visiting with company yesterday. Today's goal was making the transition home smoothly. That, we nailed!

I'm off to bed now. Duty starts at 4 a.m. followed by my first test in the morning- flushing an I.V. solo. It's good to be home and for Mom to be doing so well! 

No comments: