Sunday, July 29, 2012

Trying Our Hand At...

We've been trying new things lately and wanted to share a few of our successes.


As I alluded to yesterday, we tried different global cuisine this past week. Indian, Israeli, Italian, Azerbaijani and Mexican. Some things went up in smoke (see previous post) and other things turned out great. So great, in fact, that the leftovers doubled as a late night pizza snack. So I thought I'd share a couple of the recipes we loved.


1. Chocolate zucchini bread. Feeling good about zucchini, whole wheat, olive oil and most importantly chocolate, this "bread" disappeared in less than a day.




You can get the recipe by clicking here


2. Homemade pita bread. I've tried cutting back on buying what I can make. This week I tried pita for falafel night. Found at the same website as the zucchini bread, the pita tasted great and the leftovers were gobbled up the next two days as pizza crust. Simply topped with bacon, marinara and a piece of grated string cheese, we placed them under the broiler for a few minutes. Yum! Spinach would have been great on it too! Here's the recipe I found from the same website:
Wimbush Family Pita Bread1 tablespoon yeast1 ¼ cup warm water1 teaspoon salt3- 3 ½ cups flourDissolve yeast in water for about 5 minutes in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add salt and 1 ½ cups flour and with the dough hook, beat to make a batter. Add additional flour until a rough, shaggy mass is formed. Knead 8 minutes until dough is smooth and elastic. Add more flour if it is too sticky.Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into six pieces for large pitas or ten for smaller. I make all sorts of sizes to suit different snacks and meals. Form dough into balls, then flatten with a rolling pin into ¼ inch thick discs. Try and keep an even thickness as this is what helps them ‘puff’.Let rest on the floured surface 30-40 minutes until slightly puffed.Preheat oven to 425F.
With a large spatula, flip the rounds of dough upside down on to a b
With a large spatula, flip the rounds of dough upside down on to a baking sheet. Bake 10-15 minutes until light golden. Stick around for the first five minutes of baking when the pitas perform their magic and puff up from flat pancakes to proud, four inch high pitas.
These store for up to two days well wrapped or frozen for three weeks. 

And while I was trying my hand at some new things, I decided the pillows that came with our couch needed a redo. Late one night when I was trying to think of inexpensive pillow covers, I remembered the priceless t-shirts sitting in our drawers. We have a few that we would never give away because of sentimental value. I wondered if they could be part of the pillow solution. I tried them over the pillows and found that most of the designs were off-centered. So, I searched until I found fabric that I liked. Actually, napkins that I liked and with the help of my sew talented mother-in-law, we made these! New pillows and special keepsakes all in one!


First, I spotted these napkins online at World Market. They were made in India. :) Then, as a bonus, I found a coupon on Retail Me Not. Hurray free shipping!




Next, I bought special, iron-on material adhesive and started cutting. We used the pillow filling from the old pillows then attached the t-shirts with adhesive followed by sewing around the edges. 


After a lot of sewing by Deanna and a little sewing by me, these were the finished products just in time for school officials to tour our home and hear about proposed changes for the interiors of our campus apartments.


From the beautiful reunion of our dear Sudanese friend with his mom
From our 4 1/2 years doing life in Stu-B

From the camp where I grew so much physically and spiritually

From an extra shirt for our India trip that also supported an adoptive family


And there are a few jewels from last week, materially speaking. Monday I'll share about some special surprises concerning adoption and a story about redemption. 

Happy Sunday to you! 




1 comment:

The Frisk Five said...

Absolutely love the pillows. When I saw the one from Hortense Wesleyan, I almost cried.