Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Food for Thought

Sunday night we swooped back in from our separate points on the map: pristine Colorado and so-southern Alabama. It's incredible to get away to luxurious hotels and have maids fluff your pillows every day. Not to mention getting to spend time with some amazing people. But I realized while there and when returning that something in me just isn't right with that sort of living. My thoughts are often so sobering. Does anyone else have this phenomena? They are constant thoughts that won't let my heart rest. Don't get me wrong. I don't want to rebel against the natural just for rebellion's sake but I do want purposeful living. So here are a few of the very real questions I have constantly with a few thrown in to slightly alter the intensity scale.

Is it possible for a kid's birthday party to celebrate the life and still foster generosity? Or, can they only be "bring the biggest, best presents and lots of them because I deserve everything" kind of parties without thought of others who have nothing?


If I would manage to quit spending my time trying to figure out the latest technology and fashions, what sort of productive things could fill my waking hours and have impact that would last past the next season into eternity?


Can I ever teach Levi what sound an elephant makes? Any attempt sounds like a bad car horn at best. Answer: No. Elephants, in our home, don't make noise. And that's right along with zebras and alligators and a host of others.


If a man on crutches and a woman approach a door at the same time, who should open the door?


When will I learn to stop wishing to love people well across the ocean and start doing it for the people right around me?


What is the balance of saving and planning and yet recklessly following God with abandon? Is there a balance? Am I sometimes an American Christian yet not a Biblical Christian?

How can I shop today and eat, for that matter, knowing that an estimated 10 million people have been affected in east Africa by the worst drought in more than half a century? Why has this torn my heart apart so much? What can I do?

But just to look at me you'd never know these questions are constantly swirling. Because we had an incredible time in Alabama at a conference and with family. And Jason in Colorado. (His pictures are much more incredible than mine and are coming soon.) We had fun. We spent money. We visited the nursing home where my aunt lives and we faced death at every door. And, the calling to purposefully living got even stronger.


So how do I answer these hard questions and harder still, how do I implement them in my daily comings and goings? Perhaps when I have answers I'll share them here or if you have the answers you can share. Until then they will be my constant cud that I sometimes divulge.

Thanks for caring to listen to my sharing...even the intense parts.

1 comment:

The Frisk Five said...

I miss you so much. I wish we could sit and talk so that you know that questions like these are always in my head as well. As far as the kid's birthday parties, we actually don't do presents at the party. It's just about celebrating. And this is just one of my many questions. I feel as if we are a constant work in progress and understand some of the frustrations. Our God is amazing though, even in our rough times (which I have been experiencing lately). You are in our prayers. Love you guys!
Erica