Sunday, November 14, 2010



For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
1 Corinthians 13:12


Walking by faith is a learned behavior. It doesn’t come naturally, at least in my experience. I’ve had more than my share of experiences to point me to trust God. When I was young I prayed for five little drowned kittens to come back to life. And one by one, they did. When I was struggling through the teen years, I prayed for a sign that, indeed, God could hear my whispered prayers. And my sign, minutes later, was a t-shirt worn by a grocery store clerk that read: “If you are looking for a sign from God, here it is.” A hand was signing I love you below those words.

And I have discovered in thirty years that

God

loves

me

.

And just as mysteriously, He can hear my prayers even when they’re just whispers in my head. I’m baffled by it when I stop to think. But this beautiful mystery of prayer and power often has me apologizing to God for not valuing it more. After all I’ve seen. After all I know. My prayer-less-ness has to be a sin.

Jason and I have a pile of rocks in our bedroom. They are our visible reminders of the miracles we’ve personally seen God do as He “draws [us] to Himself.” The miracle of complete healing I experienced after eight years of sickness and medication. The miracle of us, Jason and Kelley. Because of the specific prayer I prayed one Valentine’s night, Jason’s life was different. “God, cause my future husband to get out of any bad relationships. Cause him to fall in love with you devoting himself fully before we meet.” That night, as I prayed, a 2 1/2 year relationship ended by phone for Jason. That summer God called him to full surrender and his senior year he grew and grew and loved God deeply. Then, we met. The awesome love of God who hears our whispers.

As I sit and think of these and COUNTLESS more, I am in awe of God and my faith swells. I see clearer through this “dark glass” and I trust more.

Yet after all I have seen, I still have trouble trusting at times. So as I sat at the orphan summit in Hershey, I was reminded of another prayer and another answer and another opportunity to walk by faith.

Let me begin in the Spring of 2009...

{Continued tomorrow...}

No comments: