Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Land of a Thousand Sleepless Sons


First off, kudos to those moms who keep blog posts coming, a spotless house and still manage to look polished. I am not that woman lest you find yourself here under false pretense. Yet somehow I feel drawn to those women thinking their superpowers will trickle through the pixels. There are moments I think it's working. Then I look at my kitchen sink. :)


Little five-month-old Levi is thriving. And Jason and I aren't doing so bad ourselves. Except at night. After getting up about ten times Tuesday night, Levi began sleep training. That means we let him fuss for a while to learn to fall asleep without constant coddling. That also means I creep into his room and watch inconspicuously while he cries a few minutes and looks toward the door. At five months he already knows how to manipulate. And he's so cute it's worked until our desperation overcame his pitiful bottom lip. We're giving it a week then we'll report back.


Until then and some other updates we'll be sharing later, enjoy with me this great picture and video. Have we mentioned we love adoption?!



Lightning Ahlers - My Adoption Story from The Ahlers Family on Vimeo.

3 comments:

inexplicableways.com said...

I found your blog from Marian's a la mode blog. Hello!

I so remember being where you are with my firstborn. I often asked, as Samson's dad did: "O LORD, I beg you, let the man of God you sent to us come again to teach us how to bring up the boy who is to be born."

I found much wisdom and support from the amazing women at www.gentlechristianmothers.com. Their message board was an invaluable resource as I tried to tease out parenting.

And remember...God created your incredible body to release prolactin (which triggers the milk let-down reflex) when you hear your baby cry. There is a biology to the mother-baby pair. Listen to the mama's heart given to you by your Abba.

Peace to you, sweet mama. Especially in the Land of Sleeplessness.

Martin LaBar said...

God help you (and him) sleep!

Martin LaBar said...

P. S. You are right -- he is cute.