Friday, March 12, 2010

The Nanny Chronicles: Chapter's End

Wednesday marked the end of my days doing preschool pick-up in my two-door, lacing up shoes for Tuesday library day, and packing a picnic lunch for the park. For over a year and a half I've watched these two boys change and that makes this week hard because now they have a new nanny. And I'm not her.

I've learned a lot from a two and four-year-old:

1. "Why?" questions make you realize how little you know.
2. Silence is golden.
3. Potty training is not for the faint of heart.
4. Adults take life too seriously.
5. Child prodigies require a lot of attention.
6. Cookies and cake are great motivators. ;)
7. Monsters really could be in the closet or ceiling fan so don't ever bring them up. They take a long time to forget.
8. Entertainment doesn't have to be expensive. i.e. hide-and-seek, string, paper
9. Southern accents are easily picked up. I hear myself when Everett (the younger) says words like why (wh-ie) and four (faw-er).
10. Blonde-haired, blue-eyed boys easily attach themselves to heartstrings.

My sweet boys,

I'm looking forward to Tuesday when Jason and I get to take you on one last trip to the zoo. I've missed you already. This new baby in my belly that you ask about is so lucky because of you. You've taught me so much about diapers and discipline and daily scheduling...and in the process made me love hide-and-seek, reading books, digging for dinosaurs and hearing random facts about planes and trains. {Well, maybe not loving plane and train facts. But I pretended, right?} You've made me enjoy laughing more and being silly. You've made me love kids more than I ever thought I could. Thank you for letting me learn with you and for still trusting me even when I didn't get it right.

I love you!

"Miss" Kelley

3 comments:

MOM said...

GET READY, I DON'T CARE, THIS MAYBE
MUSHY! TEARS CAME TO MY EYES WHEN I READ YOUR "NANNY CHRONICLES"! I KNOW THEY CAME FROM THE HEART AND ARE SO PRECIOUS! GIRL YOU HAVE A WAY WITH WORDS & I'M GOING TO MISS THE BOYS TOO & I WASN'T EVEN THEIR NANNY :) YOU ARE GOING TO MAKE A GREAT MOM AND JASON A GREAT DAD! LOVE YOU

The Scooper said...

Hey there Kelley! I'm so happy to know about your blog. Congratulations on your big baby boy getting ready to come into the world! Even if you don't win a Padalily, I have a feeling Miss Joan will hook you up with one. : )

Martin LaBar said...

That's priceless.