Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Lessons in Writing

Eleven blogs have found their way into my Google Reader and one made a huge difference in my entire day yesterday.  The post was all about practical ways to be a lifelong learner.  My heartbeat!  Just where to start, what to read, how to invest my time?!  I easily get overwhelmed to a standstill.  Yesterday’s thoughts revolved around one particularly:  Read quality.  Think classics, textbooks, journals, articles, historical fiction, etc.  I read none of those.  In fact, I read little at all.  I’m reminded of it every time I type a post.  I want need to be well read. 

So I took the challenge and in my favorite get-to-the-point style, here are some books I’ve been disappointed with recently and some I’ve been intrigued enough with to make a priority for October reading.

T1.  How to Cook Everything by Mark Bittman.  I love the cookbook for the variety and thorough explanations, but Wednesday night I served coffee cake “muffins” to some students.  They were voted biscuits instead of the melt-in-your-mouth muffins I’d hoped they’d be.  Way to fail me, cookbook!  esther

R2.  Esther: It’s Tough Being a Woman by Beth Moore.  Just  started this study with three other women last night, and I’m beyond excited!  First study with Beth ever, but it seems to be just what I’ve needed.

]3.  The End of Reason by Ravi Zacharias.  It’s been sitting on my shelf for over a year, unread.  I’m diving in this month!

Three Cups of Tea_Mech.indd]4. Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin.  Picked this one up in stores more times than I can count but never bought or read it. 

R5.  One Million Arrows by Julie Ferwerda.  My friend knows the author and let me borrow this a week ago.  All she had to say was orphans and India in the same sentence, and I begged to borrow it.  Challenging material about living on purpose and raising kids to do the same!

T6.  The Weekly Curriculum:  52 Complete Preschool Themes by Barbara Backer.  Not at all what I was hoping.  Could be better titled The Weak Curriculum

These aren’t classics or textbooks, but they’re a start!  Any quality reading you’ve enjoyed recently?  I’d love to hear.  Maybe those could begin my November/December list!

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I would suggest to you spiritually, Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God by Francis Chan. This book changed my life.

For others, I would read some classic childrens books. My mom read to me and my brothers every night.
Anything by Beverly Clearly I would recommend. :)

Always,

Liz P.