Thursday, July 30, 2009

Joy Complete

On our way to the mountains last Friday we listened to a woman talk about losing her husband in a diving accident.  Her pain was still so fresh and the subsequent story of her prayers in her hotel room so clear in this truth: trust in Christ brings the deepest, sweetest peace even in the midst of terrible tragedy. 

It consumed our thoughts even as we checked out the new, A-MAZE-ING Chick-fil-a of Clemson.  That night the story and message found it’s way into our fireside chat with Steven Groves (a former/returning RA).   And Sunday, after the story had left my mind, it came back because of a song.

Six months ago I did some deep, earnest praying myself.  I was tormented by a lack of purpose that had haunted me for months.  So I set in my mind one night to pray until I heard something.  Anything.  When praying and crying for hours yielded nothing, I went to bed in a bigger mess than I’d started.  Then, right before sleep, I heard these words whispered deep inside of me:  “I am the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end.  I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you.”  In disbelief I questioned whether it had been God’s voice or my own mind trying to comfort itself. 

Ten hours later sitting in church I plopped my Bible open in the middle of worship.  If it was God, I would find exactly where he referred to himself as he had the night before.  I found it:

6He said to me: "It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. 7He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son.  Revelation 21:6-7 (NIV)

And just as I was reading those words, the song rang out all around me:  “All who are thirsty, all who are weak…” and, mildly put, I experienced the deepest, sweetest peace from Jesus that morning.

So this past Sunday my mind linked the recent story of tragic loss, that song and my own story into one, and I felt to share it with you.  Maybe in hopes of encouraging you or sharing my most recent joy or pointing you to who has answers.  Whatever the reason, I hope you are encouraged today, wherever the day may take you.

1 comment:

Martin LaBar said...

Thanks for sharing that.