Sunday, August 3, 2008

Roots

My cousins call him Paw Paw, but I have always called him Uncle Vernon. In his 70s he has seen a lot, including the recent passing of his wife, my Aunt Doris. It was good to be in Alabama last weekend and to have some overdue conversations on how he is doing. As I sat in church on Sunday morning I was reminded of his influence. A true gentleman with a soft, giving heart I have always greatly respected and admired him...even when his family was tough on him. Years ago he and my aunt responded to the need for a church that accepted the outcast so Church On the Rock was established. And all those excluded from traditional churches or unchurched altogether were welcomed in and began to grow. It is a beautiful thing to see biker guys sitting beside little old ladies in hats. My heart smiled. This is what it's about!

While I saw all the cousins, went to a birthday party and talked to my Aunt Kas, I was reminded of my roots. Raised in a small, rural town in South Georgia I was shy and backward. I went to school covered in a heavy coat because of insecurity and spoke only a few words during a day until I returned home. I was dorky, and I was quiet. I was a nobody.

But in my state of nobodyness, God loved me. He gave godly Christian parents and a rich heritage of uncles and aunts, like Aunt Doris and Uncle Vernon, who love Him. And He made me a somebody...using them to share much of that love. It's a revealing blog that's been on my heart to share and that has been postponed time and again the past two weeks. This is the testimony at the core of me...a nobody turned somebody because she was loved by Jesus and the family He gave...

2 comments:

Eddie, Martha-Marie, and Selah said...

Thanks for your openess Kelley...God is using you and Jason in incredible ways....one of the most wonderful ways is how you both are so transparent..thank you for sharing your heart....that's one of the many things I love about ya Kelley!

Eddie, Martha-Marie, and Selah said...

Thanks for being so open and transparent Kelley...how freely you share your heart is one of the many things I love about ya friend! God is using you and Jason in such a mighty way!