Friday, May 30, 2008

California Dreamin'- San Fran. and Yosemite!

We landed in California Wednesday around midnight. The smooth flight was a confidence booster that flying isn’t so scary after all. A bad experience flying in February had me, Kelley, terrified of planes. Thanks to those who prayed! We navigated our way to our rental car (got a free upgrade to a Sebring convertible…woohoo!) and left to spend the night just outside San Fran. The next morning we saw beautiful yellow, rolling hills as we drove farther from the city to Yosemite.

Our first stop was to see the giant sequoias. How massive they are! We hiked all around the grove then headed into the valley. On the drive farther into the park, we saw deer and got to test out Steve Erwin’s theory: the lower you are, the less threatening you are. It worked!







As we drove a little farther, we came out of a tunnel to see this breathtaking view. El Capitan is on the left, Bridalveil Falls to the right and Halfdome, the monster Jason will be climbing, is in the middle. It’s all more beautiful than the pictures can show!

We are so excited to be here! But before we paint too rosy a picture, we’ll wrap things up with our cabin stories. We arrived at our canvas tent in the 40-something degree weather (which dropped to low 30’s after dark) and stored all of our stuff in a bear-safe container. People were loud, the canvas thin and the air cold. I was awakened by a guy who, screaming like a girl, must have run into a bear. And then, what I dreaded most happened: I had to go to the bathroom. My two trips before bed hadn’t worked…and it was now 3:15 a.m. I cautiously looked both ways through the door and carefully made my way to the lit facilities. After I finished, I peered out the door again, and there he was! Thirty feet away I thought I could make out a bear head beside a tent. I darted back into the bathroom, but he saw me. I watched his shadow coming closer and with trembling hands faced him to clap the loudest clap I could muster. It worked…he ran away like a scared cat. I ran back to my tent and haven’t been back to sleep since!

It’s now around 7 o’clock. Jason left early and is now partially up the mountain to Half Dome. I’ll spend the day in the valley, and we’ll make sure to give you all the details tomorrow after he’s returned and had some much-needed rest!

Hope everyone is having a great Friday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am Jealous. You did it. I am glad you are bakc off of the mountain safe!!

Dad